Tuesday 14 August 2012

nursery temptations.... its almost like a vacation

Do you ever feel like going to nursery is like taking a vacation? It's like a dose of something beautiful. Nursery displays are not subject to the gardeners budget but rather represent the exciting possibility of what can be.  So when I find myself in need of some inspiration or if I find myself without a airline ticket in hand (which causes me great stress), sometimes I simply meander through the world of possibilities and the beauty of a great nursery.


Today that was Cedar Rim Nursery (a known favourite!)

They must think I'm crazy.  I find myself wandering through their "gardens" on a regular basis.

It's a form of plant therapy I suppose. I think one of the main reasons I favour Cedar Rim so much for my nursery walks is that they are my people.  Why you ask?

Because they have palms everywhere! Quite literally the nursery is riddled with some of the most beautiful palms and in my opinion the best selection in the area.

And it's not just the palms.  If you know me, you know I LOVE flax.

I love how they have made the nursery a garden - A garden of possibilities.




And if you need a break, why not relax under the reaches of a stunning butia capitata?

Talk about plant lust!

But then there's the "avenue de palmiers" as I have nicknamed it.  Imagine living on a street where everyone loved palm trees!?


The yucca house is another kind of Vacation. You often hear a few people yelp "ouch" as they make there way through this greenhouse.  Maybe this makes me a terrible person but I just can't help but grin from ear to ear.  I tell them the yuccas just wanted their attention.






Just when you thought they had lots of palms, you stumble upon the actual palm section. Rows and rows of palms! Chamaerops humilis 'cerifera', chamaerops humilis, trachycarpus fortunei, butia capitata, jubaea chilensis, and even washingtonia robusta ....

I want this one sooo bad! This is a stellar jubaea chilensis.


One day.  But this would break an entire plant season budget in one go.... so for now I just admire it at Cedar Rim.... but one day. ( I really ought to start buying lotto tickets )







Feeling orange today?










Oh the temptations of a good nursery.... who couldn't use some extra tillandsias in their collection?


Or some new lanterns?

Or some PNW inspired orca stepping stones! Yes, I want this more than I can even put into words! Nursery temptations are everywhere. But all in all, I found myself rejuvenated.  It's almost like a vacation out there!

10 comments:

  1. Nice visit, nice nursery. I really appreciate knowing that I'm not the only person who simply HAS to visit a nursery every few days...like a junkie I gotta get my fix!

    BTW the tire planters are kind of like a hillbilly version of my Circle Pot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooo true. My family and friends think I'm certifiable. But nurseries are magical places. There's the wholes cheesy saying something along the lines of planting a garden is like believing in tomorrow. But it's kind of true. I think it says something about a person. But it also speaks of slowing down and appreciating the beauty of nature. I could just get on a romanticized rant of how wonderful nurseries are!!!!

      I love the tire planters! And you are right, hillbilly circle pots!!! That's probably what makes me love them so much. My inner hillbilly and my love for the circle pot.

      Delete
  2. I think I'm in love! Your pictures of this place are beautiful. Like you've said before, It's a good thing that there's a border separating me from that nursery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful that there is a 20 min drive separating me. Otherwise, I'd be there every day. I could spend a fortune there right now. They have so many amazing plants... Including a growing eucalyptus section that I keep going back to.

      Delete
  3. Nice pics! I am the same way with Lowes (I know not as fancy as the gardens you get to visit, but I have to work with what I have in my small city). I think the people working there know by now that "No I don't need any help, I'm just looking" as I walk around and around looking at every plant even when I have no intention of buying anything. The cactus display at this nursery is amazing. I love the idea of a collection of a lot of small cacti, like the tray full of them in the pic. Do you know what plant (yucca?) is in the picture bellow the Bougainvillea and above the bromeliads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. Sometimes lowes has great stuff! And usually pretty good prices! The yucca you see there is yucca rigida. I have been lusting over that one but bought a smaller one a couple months ago. It was all beat up and on clearance!

      Delete
  4. How breathtaking! The picture of the yucca rigida...ha! ha! I can tell you were contemplating getting yours a friend, weren't you???!!! ha! Oh and I miss people spelling favourite that way! behaviour....etc! dang it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I was sooo contemplating getting the yucca rigida! It's a stunner and I can always use nor yucca. I'm glad you love the canadianisms! I waffle between the shorter American spellings from time to time but usually go back to Canadian

      Delete
  5. I like the way you take photos. Up close yet not intrusive. If you visit Saskatoon, sk, must visit the Mendel Conservatory. A smallish place but beautifully designed. The Art gallery is moving to a bigger venue (yet to be constructed) along the Sask river. No clear indication as to how they might redesign the conservatory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that!

      I don't know if I'll get out to Saskatoon but I will put that down on my list of places to see! I try and keep a running tab of treasures that need be visited if I'm in the areas. Thanks so much.

      Delete