Wednesday 7 November 2012

sunshine makes me think agave!

The sunshine this morning has agaves on my mind.  I go through moments where I feel like a cruel agave owner. I feel like they are saying, "why the heck did you plant me outside in the PNW?!" But then there are those days where the sun shines, I'm immediately transported to a state of euphoria and I have hope for my agaves once again. Today is that day! Hooray sunshine!! For those living outside the PNW, thats a big deal this time of year.  So I intend on soaking it allll up! And what better way to celebrate sunshine than an agave post? (Well, maybe a palm tree post would do too...)

Please forgive all the pine needles and leaves. I really need to get out and clean everything up, but for now, all I can do is just enjoy some much needed sunshine.  I have been sooo thrilled by the growth of this agave ovatifolia.

At first I thought I could do a wordless wednesday agave post... but apparently I've got the gab today.

I guess agaves make my gabby.  How could you now comment on the epic spikes!

Speaking of spikes, agave bovicornuta has been a real trooper. I have not figured out where I will store this bad boy for the winter, but it's sharp and huge!

Ouch!

This frosty blue outgrew his arm amputation and is starting to take one some stature.

I just can't get over this gorgeous icy blue. This is icy done right.  Icy in a way that evokes warm sunshine!


And I am a big variegated fan.  This morning agave cornelius was glowing for me!

I love being greeted at the front door by this!! Don't the arms kind of look like fingers? It's waving!

And lastly, the only plant to have been moved inside... agave americana medio picta alba.  Have a happy agave growing sunshine loving Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. After last nights election results and waking up to sunshine this morning I didn't think things could get any better, but now this! Yay for agave posts, yours are all looking fabulous! My A. bovicornuta is not looking good, yours reminds me just how beautiful they are when happy.

    Thank you for the agave love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm happy to add to your excitement. It was indeed a happy morning :)

      I hope your agave bovircornuta gets better!!! I was actually a little bit worried about mine because I never pulled it under cover during our monsoons, but so far it seems happy. I will have to let it dry out in a nice sunny spot for the next few weeks.

      Delete
  2. Yea for sunshine and agaves in the PNW! I'm not looking forward to the freeze coming on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe it wont freeze! that would be a treat! That's what I'm hoping for.

      Delete
  3. Very cheerful are those agaves, aren't they? Of course, I take sun for granted, and to me, I like the way your agaves' leaves look moist! Mine so dusty.

    Freeze - I guess the whole western continent gets it this weekend (us - Sat night thru Mon, colder than winter averages!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agaves are soo cheerful!! I hope you don't get too cold this next weekend. That sounds kind of ominous. I think we are all supposed to rebound next week though. So at least it will be short lived.

      Delete
  4. I actually love seeing your agaves with those pine needles on them! To me it says "You CAN grow these gorgeous babies outside in the PNW!". I'm seriously considering planting my A. ovatifolia out next summer after seeing yours doing so well.

    Thanks for the fabulous warmup - I'm smiling all over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane!!! I always get told that "you can't grow those here" as I buy plants and I just smile. My really live my ovatifolia and am considering giving it some better care this coming season. It has the advantage of overhead trees, a slight slope, raised bed, and southern exposure. And it seems to thrive in that spot. I'm going to try an experiment with it and one of those pop up shelters if temps fall. I'll post some pics.

      Delete
  5. Agave love -- I totally get it. Agave ovatifolia is one of my faves too. Heck, they're all pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pam! Agave lovin is fun lovin thats for sure.

      Delete
  6. What a great post Louis - I am inspired to get a variegated agave ASAP ...how beautiful in that sun! That last one inside...looks like he is flippin' the bird...to the cold...HEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm sooo happy to inspire agave shopping! Kind of ironic considering I'm the one in Canada and you're in Texas! I LOVE IT!

      'Lil' agave medio picta does look like he's flippin us one! :)

      Delete