Saturday 10 August 2013

Weekly Fav... Dicksonia Antarctica

This weeks weekly fav is an epic ... dicksonia antarctica. I have long been a fan of Tasmanian tree ferns. There's something so lush and exotic about them. I received this fern a while ago at a Palm Society plant sale. I was initially drawn to the dramatic size of each frond. It seemed robust amongst others of a similar size trunk. That coupled with the beautiful green makes for a true favourite.

 The trunk is bigger than it appears in pictures but still a baby as far as tree ferns go. I have been told the secret to growth is regular feedings with fish fertilizer. I've been less than consistent with fertilizing (as usual) but have noticed that whenever I give it a stinky fish drink it sends out new growth.

The details:
USDA Hardiness Zone: (8) 9-11
Exposure: Part sun/ Part shade
Height: 12'-20'

Cistus Nursery has this to say about it: "This highly sought after fern matures with huge 6 ft+ fronds. Can achieve a considerable trunk with age. Best out of winds & under the high shade of evergreen trees. Sails through most years, but requires wrapping or lifting at 20F or so. Well worth it."

6 comments:

  1. Great fave! It was such a treat to see huge ones growing like weeds in California gardens. I could so move there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could only imagine to grow these like weeds. *sigh*

      Delete
  2. Oh you picked a great fav! Good to know about he fertilizer, I really should do it more often (who am I kidding, I never do). The one I planted in the ground this spring is definitely happier there. However I was cutting a couple of dead fronds off the other day and accidently cut off two good ones...what an idiot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uh oh! just feed it some fish and it will reward you at least two more!

      Delete
  3. Epic, indeed!! So do you wrap yours in winter, Louis? I love the look but I'm so bad with winter protection...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. I do wrap. But only when (if) the cold comes. I always have burlap and things on hand. They seem easy enough ... so far.

      Delete