Monday 16 September 2013

foliage follow up - succulent fountain/work fun

Today's foliage follow-up comes from the fun I had at work over the weekend. We had this idea of planting a three tiered fountain with succulents. But instead we pieced together a pillar (base), bowl planter (tier one), bird bath (tier two) and urn planter (tier three) into this succulent "fountain!" It always feels so fun to have some creative time! And what's better is that we get to call it work!

This photo was taken just after cleaning up the mess ... and I certainly made a mess planting this up. Don't you just love getting your hands dirty!? (and in this case my face, arms, legs ... you get the idea)

Closer up this thing has so many fun colors and textures. I love how the blues and greens play off of each other in succulent plantings.

 And from another angle!

I can't wait for those donkey tail sedum to settle into place and start spilling over more. And I'm a huge fan of the blue elf aloe on top! Happy foliage follow-up everyone!!! Get creative! For more foliage fun head on over to Pam's blog digging!!

10 comments:

  1. That is wonderfully creative and so pretty! Do you work at a nursery, Louis? I bet you DO get to have fun playing with plants on the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I do work at a nursery! It's much fun! In fact just the other day I had someone in asking about lawn alternatives and they mentioned an article written in the vancouver news citing your book!!!

      Delete
    2. Wow, how cool is that?! Did you have some good alt-lawn suggestions for them?

      Delete
    3. I sure did... I suggested some creeping thyme, grasses, yucca rostrata sapphire skies (because let's be honest, every garden needs pokes!), etc. But turns out they were more into the lawn look minus the lawn and I believe decided on micro clover.

      Delete
  2. I love your succulent fountain Louis! Very cool and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That came out beautiful! My fav is the tippy top too...looks so wavy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The blue end aloe is really nice, eh?! And I love the pot it's in. My friend Corey found it amongst the random pots and things at the nursery.

      Delete
  4. Wow you did an amazing job! Is it for sale, or display only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think at this point display only. Because of the pieces it would be hard to move without sacrificing part of the planting... At least until its well rooted.

      Delete